21/03/2016Pool Fence Safety Tips
Following pool fence safety tips is essential for everyone to enjoy the leisure atmosphere and added ambiance a pool lends to a property. With the fun of a pool also comes the responsibility of keeping your pool, and family, safe. According to a report published by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDPC), drowning is the second leading cause of death for children below the age of 14. Naturally, a big percentage of these cases occur in residential pools. So how do you ensure the kids stay safe this spring?
“A pool fence can reduce the chance of drowning by 83 percent,” said Jim Sweet, a vinyl pool fencing expert. “After all, enclosing the pool area is a sensible security measure that prevents kids from gaining unsupervised access. And although there isn’t any uniform legislation in pool fencing in the U.S, there are reliable measures that you can put in place to ensure the safety of your family.”
Pool Fence Safety Tips
Based on legal requirements across America and the U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission, these are the features every pool fence should have:
- Your pool fence should always be four feet or higher.
- The fence should not have any foothold that may make it easier for kids to climb over.
- Pick a material that is not susceptible to damage and can handle the elements well; landscape architects suggest permanent pool fences as they are more durable.
- Ensure that your pool fence completely encloses the pool area; there should be no reason to open the pool gate other than to access the pool.
- Carry out routine check-ups to ensure that there are no gaps or malfunctioning parts that may jeopardize the safety of your kids.
- For added security, install underwater swimming pool alarms that alert you when someone is in the pool.
Fencing your backyard pool does far much more than to ensure the safety of your family and lower your insurance liability, it also affords you a peace of mind. After all, the main point of having a backyard pool is to create a relaxing and fun atmosphere where the family can get together and indulge in some good old pass times.